Friday, March 21, 2008

Stubborn baby

After a week of constant Braxton Hicks contractions, major fatigue, and weird pains, I went to the OB yesterday optimistic for some really good news. Turns out, I'm still only dilated 1/2 cm, like I have been for the past 4 weeks. Jared and I are going to see the Doc again on Tuesday to see if I've progressed any, and if not, he wants us to start thinking about the possibility of inducing. That is not at all the route I want to take, if it can be helped, so, I'm hoping little Nancy will just pop on out before then and we won't even have to deal with it. I will keep you all posted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why are they inducing you before 40 weeks? Aren't they supposed to wait until 42? I heard a stat recently that most white women give birth to their first child at 41 weeks 1 day.

Take heart! And tell me what the deal is...

Unknown said...

We were wondering about that as well, what our doc told andi was that at ~ week 39, the nutrients, blood flow, etc. in the placenta start declining. That's normal, but allowing the baby to go on for too long that way can increase the likelihood for problems, even stillbirths etc. Our doctor said he was most comfortable waiting no more than a week past the due date for this reason -- we aren't sure whether that's a bit paranoid but we liked the guy and trusted him a lot so we probably would have listened to him and scheduled to induce at the 7th day past the due date... except then we wound up going into labor the 4th day afterward :)